Things to Look for
- Are the ratios and group size appropriate for my infant?
- Is the setting appealing with comfortable lighting and an acceptable noise level?
- Is the environment sanitary, safe and accommodating for the special needs of infants?
- Are caregivers holding the infants or engaging with them on the floor?
- Do the caregivers seem happy? Are they positively interacting with each other and you?
- Do caregivers speak, sing and read to the infants?
Questions to ask
- Am I welcome to drop in at any time?
- Is there a primary caregiver for my child?
- Do you have a policy/method for toilet training?
- How do you handle the transition from bottles to solid food?
- What is your illness policy for children and teachers? What is your substitute teacher policy?
- What are meals like? What are naps like?
- How is each day structured? Is it tightly or loosely scheduled?
- How will you communicate with us about our infant’s learning and development?
- What is your staff turnover rate?
- What training do staff members have in infant-toddler development?
- How do you assess an infant’s skills, strengths and needs?
- How do you track developmental milestones?
- How do you keep your infants engaged with learning?
- How do you adapt learning activities to meet the needs of each infant?
- How do they handle daily parent communication?
- Are they active on social media?
- How do they handle discipline? Do I agree with their methods?
- Do they share my values?
- How close is this provider to my home or work?
- Would I feel good about leaving my child here?
- Would my child feel good about coming here?
- How did I feel about the director? Were they accommodating to my questions and needs? Do they seem flexible and eager to work with me?
- How was the energy of the place?